Friday, October 19, 2012

5 Years Later....Remembering Our Brother, Jason Mooney


October 19, 2007 was a Friday as it is today, five years later.  My day was spent in Fairfax finishing up the last day of the rope component of the City of Fairfax Fire Department’s Rescue Engine School.  My initial plan was to stay up in Fairfax as I worked a normal shift the next day and didn’t want to contend with the traffic I-95 southbound produces on a Friday.  However, we finished class at a decent hour and I decided to head south to Stafford.  Thankfully, deciding to head home to Stafford unknowingly provided me with an opportunity that I was fortunate enough to get.  The opportunity to hang out with a friend one last time.

I made good time on the trip home and arrived at “the 2080”, the old Company 2 firehouse, around 1600 hrs.  The usual crowd of “live-ins” and “regulars” were hanging out and we had the Engine and Truck staffed.  Rain was in the forecast, however it had yet to arrive and we were all hanging out in front of the firehouse with the bay doors open (as they were almost always kept, we didn’t want the bay doors slowing down our turnout!).  Jason Mooney, a good friend to many of us and one of our “regulars”, was a Stafford Sheriff’s Deputy and that afternoon he did as he did many times before: he stopped by the firehouse prior to his night shift with the Sheriff’s Office.

We did as we often did and gave Jason a hard time about being a cop since he showed up to the firehouse with his cruiser, decked out in his Sheriff’s Deputy uniform.  It was all in fun and Jason gave it right back to us.  We decided to mess with him a little more and turn on the emergency lights and sirens in his cruiser while it was parked in front of the firehouse.  This would get him all worked up since the Sheriff’s Office was in very close proximity to the firehouse and being the new guy there, he didn’t want to risk getting in trouble for having his siren blaring for no reason.  We also decided to put another one of our buddies, Daniel “The Hamburglar” Davis, in the back seat of his cruiser and get a bunch of pictures (yes, there is a story behind the nickname which was the whole reason for the pictures).  I know, stupid right? Oh well, it was funny to a bunch of easily amused firemen.  After we decided we’d goofed off enough (for the time being anyways), we sat on the front bumpers of the rigs talking about whatever.  After a while Jason had to go to roll call across the street at the Sheriff’s Office and told us he’d swing back by the firehouse later that night as he was working in a “North End” zone for the night.

Shortly thereafter, a few of the guys headed out and we dropped back to only one crew.  The night seemed like any other Friday night as we checked the rigs, ate dinner, and planned on doing a drill.  A pretty steady rain had begun to fall and soon we were dispatched for an “Auto Accident-Vehicle Overturned” on I-95 Northbound.  This type of call is a fairly common occurrence, especially in foul weather, for our company due to our proximity to the interstate.  The Engine Company was stacked with people and since I was an officer, I responded with the Engine Company in a support vehicle.  In addition to our company’s response, another Engine, Rescue Squad, and EMS resources responded to this incident.  The other Engine, Engine 9, ran the southbound assignment from Rt. 610.  I followed behind our Engine during the response and we were coming out of an “Emergency Vehicle Only” cross over at the 140 mile marker when Engine 9’s officer transmitted a message I will never forget.  Engine 9’s officer, a good friend of mine, stated that a Sheriff’s Deputy had wrecked in front of them at the 142 southbound, to start a Rescue Squad, and that the Deputy was hurt.  Seconds after this transmission was made, we arrived on the scene of the originally dispatched accident.  Engine 2’s officer advised there were two occupants trapped and I established the “I-95 Northbound Command” and asked for another operations channel since both accidents were now on the same channel.  Early on in the incident, I monitored both radio channels to get an idea of what was going on and to see if I’d need to divert any resources to the other incident.  Since our county didn’t have the fire and rescue resources we do now, I ended up holding our incident with Engine 2, Rescue Squad 1, and the EMS resources and diverted the Engine that had been added to replace Engine 9 to assist on Engine 9’s incident.  Engine 2 and Rescue Squad 1 had the extrication completed in about fifteen minutes and due to the weather, both patients were ground transported.  As the patients were being packaged I began to listen to the other incident again to hear what the situation report was.  I didn’t hear much other than a request for a Medevac, which was going to be tough due to the weather.  Shortly thereafter I heard a Medic unit on the other incident’s channel go enroute to MWH with “CPR in progress”.

Our incident was deescalating, the suppression companies were cleaning up and the EMS units were ready for transport.  I ran over to Engine 2 to check the notes of the other incident on Engine 2’s MCT, since the vehicle I was in did not have one.  The only information in the notes I could gather was that the Sheriff’s Deputy was from the same zone Jason was working in and that the Medic unit had gone enroute to the hospital with CPR in progress.  I immediately pulled out my cell phone and called Jason’s phone.  It rang a few times and went to voicemail.  I figured he was probably at the other accident and busy there.  However, I still wanted to know it wasn’t him so I called right back hoping that back-to-back calls may help to convey that I urgently wanted to talk to him.  Again the phone rang, playing the ringback tone that I’ll never forget: “Here I Go Again” by Whitesnake.  Again, it went to voicemail.  Now concerned, I called communications on my cell phone and told them who I was and that I knew they were extremely busy but could they tell me one thing: Was Jason the Deputy in the accident?  The dispatched told me “Yes” and I hung up.  I was shocked and don’t remember exactly what I was thinking but I called Engine 2’s officer over to me as the rest of the crew was still picking up.  I told Engine 2’s officer, John Wehr, the news and told him we needed to get to the hospital ASAP.  The majority of the crew riding in the back of Engine 2 was pretty young and we chose not to tell them all of the details, other than the fact that Jason had been in an accident.  We went back to the firehouse, since it was on the way, and put the company out of service.  Another officer at Company 2, Shawn Dunstan, met us at the firehouse and we headed to MWH in the Engine and Utility.  Having done this for a little bit, I knew when the Medic unit went enroute with “CPR in progress” that things were not looking promising.

When we got to MWH, as expected, the ER was a mad house.  We made our way inside and the County Fire Chief, Rob Brown, was one of the first people I saw.  He said they were still working Jason.  While the rest of our crew waited in the EMS restock area, Shawn and I wandered down the hall and waited outside the room they were working Jason in.  Shortly thereafter, nurses began to file out and they all had tears in their eyes.  I knew what the tears meant and it was only seconds later that the doctor came out and confirmed that resuscitative efforts had been unsuccessful.  I have no shame in saying it, I cried like a baby.  While I knew it was very real, the next few hours seemed surreal.  How could this have happened?  We had all just hung out with him hours before.  That was one of the roughest nights I’ve had at the firehouse and it’s something I’ll never forget.  As sad and tragic as that evening was, the brotherhood really shined in the days that followed.  Additionally, the folks that worked at Jason's accident performed extraordinarily in the face of adversity that evening and should be commended for their efforts.

So here we are five years later and I look back on this rough time and realize there are lessons to be learned from Jason and from this event.  Jason knew what it meant to serve.  He was a US Marine, a volunteer firefighter, and a Sheriff’s Deputy.  Too often in this day and age, folks forget what it means to serve.  All too often people ask “What’s in it for me?” before they commit to doing something.  Jason didn’t.  Jason would also go the extra mile to help someone out even if it didn’t convenience him.  Whether it meant he drove from Prince William to Stafford to keep our apparatus staffed or you’d been out on the town while he was working and needed a safe ride home, Jason would make it happen.  One of my favorite, and funniest, memories of Jason’s dedication to service took place at an apartment complex in our first due.  Jason was with his fiancée, Cat, and Matt, another Company 2 member, looking for a new apartment when a bad thunderstorm rolled through.  Lightning hit one of the buildings in the complex and started a fire.  I was the Truck officer and we arrived quickly with our Engine to find fire showing.  The fire was located on the exterior of the building and in the ceiling between the second and third floor apartments.  I made my way up the stairs and entered the second floor apartment to begin opening up, when I look to my left and see some clown in a Deputy uniform hooking ceiling with a broom or mop handle.  I quickly realized it was Jason, had a good laugh with him and “politely” asked him to go outside.  

Jason was also motivated to continue to better himself.  In addition to being a member at our firehouse, he was a member at a volunteer department in Prince William County.  We’d often give him a hard time about this and he’d assure us he was dedicated to our department.  As I said above, on more than one occasion he’d make the journey from there to our firehouse to ensure we kept the rigs staffed.  Shortly before his death, he’d begun his driver’s training on the Rescue Squad at his other volunteer department.  As soon I found this out, I had a field day with him.  I’d ask him various questions about the equipment on the rig and he wouldn’t have a clue about it.  I’d jump his case about it and tell him that anybody worthy of being a Rescue Squad driver should know this information.  Sure enough he’d come back to me a few days later and provide me with the answers to the questions I’d asked.  He’d beam with pride only to have me ask him something else that he’d stumble on.  Jason knew I was doing it for his own good and would always come back to tell me he’d been working on learning all of the information I was asking him about.  I remember one of the last times I quizzed him about something, he proudly expanded upon one of his answers and proceeded to tell me about the different types of vehicle construction he’d recently learned in a class.  This moment sticks out in my mind because I remember being happy that Jason had become self-motivated and was becoming a better fireman because of it.  He got “it”, something that some folks will never have.

The days following Jason’s death truly showed the strength of the brotherhood and how far the reach of the fire service extends.  It’s unfortunate it sometimes takes tragedy to realize these things.  When everyone participates and dedicates to the fire service, it’s amazing what can be accomplished.  Within a five day period I observed a firehouse get damn-near renovated, fire apparatus got cleaner than it had ever been, a whole department got outfitted in Class A uniforms, numerous logistical items were handled, and our service to the citizens never got interrupted.  All of this happened due to unselfish dedication to the brotherhood from members of our own department, members of our own families, career members of Stafford County Fire and Rescue, other volunteer departments within Stafford County, Manassas Volunteer Fire Company, the City of Fairfax Fire Department, Prince William County Department of Fire Rescue, and Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department.

Five years has gone by very quickly and it seems like just yesterday I was goofing off with Jason.  While he is gone, his memory remains and the good times that people had with him will last forever.  Jason’s positive contributions to the fire service and society continue to live on too, with his service and dedication serving as a model and motivator.  Those who serve in public safety or the armed forces have dangerous jobs and tomorrow isn’t guaranteed, nor is it for anyone else but our level of risk is exponentially higher than the average citizen.  With that said, take a moment to make sure you’re making the most of everyday and living life to the fullest.  Don’t let the petty things get you down and don’t let stupid things overshadow the important things in life.  Thanks for letting me take a few moments to remember our brother, Jason Mooney.








      





No comments:

Post a Comment